I'm not sure you HTTP authentication is what your looking for. Lift
has support for both BASIC and DIGEST authentication models
(irrespective of any persistence technology) and you can grant access
based on Roles defined as a hierarchical structure.

See /examples/http-authentication application.

As far as Mapper goes it has a built in ProtoUser implementation for
login, registration, forgot password etc.

Br's,
Marius