I have been intrigued by the highly technical correspondence on this topic.
However I have struggled to understand what is being discussed.

A bit of googling has shed some light
http://debussy.music.ubc.ca/muset/guido/section3.html for instance but other
sources are even more technical. I was particularly thrown by the term
"semantics" this is a slippery customer that seems to mean different things
in different contexts.

In the link above it is simply a recipe for how to populate various
properties or parameters if not explicitly defined.

ie  Semantics:

*       If size or style are not specified when using \noteFormat, their
current settings remain unaffected. If not modified using \noteFormat, the
default settings are size=1.0, style="standard".
*       The specified parameters are applied to all notes within the range
of \noteFormat, or, if no range is specified, until (i) the next \noteFormat
tag changing that parameter or (ii) the end of the current voice.

Other links such as http://motools.sourceforge.net/chord_draft_1/chord.html
describe in some detail the structure of chords beyond the simple C G7 etc
descriptions including where a strong note outside the "normal" chord
members is employed often by a solo instrument.

All this is way outside by musical knowledge whilst interesting it is
difficult to understand.

Am I correct in seeing "semantics" in this way ?