Peter Mayes wrote:

I have since learned about silent notes, and I get almost what I want if
I add a silent note after the advisory key change. But then the bar
lengths are altered. To put the two result together:

Ideally what I want is the first version, but with the stave extending
just enough to go through the key signature.

I take it that your silent note moved things around too much.

The shortest thing you can add is a grace note. This will also move things, but not nearly as much. Try adding just

%%%%%%
\grace s1
%%%%%%

Lilypond accepts this, but leaves a complaint in the log.
You probably have to ignore that complaint for now.

See https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/3851
which refers to grace-end-2.ly
which 64bit versions no longer have.

Cheers,