> […]
> Well, the explanation wasn't that brief. Sorry that I didn't have
> time to write a shorter one, as they say.

PS: Maybe I should mention that at the time I went down the rabbit
hole of Python packaging in general because of Frescobaldi, I wrote
two articles on the LinuxFR site, which may be of interest here if
one reads French:

https://linuxfr.org/news/l-installation-et-la-distribution-de-paquets-python-1-4
https://linuxfr.org/news/l-installation-et-la-distribution-de-paquets-python-2-4

(Yes, these are ~8 and ~14 pages long. Yes, they're only the two
first articles in a series of four. I haven't given up on publishing
the two others, but it's not my priority at the moment.)