On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 5:21 AM, Carl Sorensen <c_soren...@byu.edu> wrote:

> What if you changed text-event to...

Carl, thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't have the desired effect -
space does appear to one side of the text, but the rehearsal mark does not
fall down into place (I guess the hspace in the markup is still occupying
that space and pushing away other elements).  Moreover the rest is displaced
to one side, no longer centered in the bar.  See [1] for an image of the
output.

On the other hand, applying the following:

\once\override Rest #'extra-spacing-width = #'(-10 . 10)

*does* yield the desired result, as seen in [2].  Of course, I could tune
the numbers manually for each instance of this narration element in the
score - but I'd prefer to compute them programmatically, based on the width
of the markup.

Thanks,
Nathan Reed

[1] http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/3660/layoutissue2.png