Hi Ivar

Le 05/02/2010 à 10:00, Ivar ten Cate a écrit :

> 2010/1/25 Alain Baeckeroot <alain.baecker...@laposte.net>:
> > I have commited an improvement in the attempted new land generation:
> > Idea:
> > - find local minimum = bottom of a lake
> > - fill the lake until it overfills and create a river, which will end out
> > of the map
> I just tried your new land generator, and i think it's a big
> improvement. The random land generator actually generates random land
> now :)
thanks

> Rivers are having hills as well, they should be flat, but I
> guess you're working on that.
I dont understand what you are saying.
Are you talking of the lake surface in 3D view ?
I agree it should be flat, lets says we see the bottom of the lake, not the
surface of it.
But the river are not flat, they follow the local slope, they are the real
rivers which correspond to the topography of the map (as in RL).

> I'm wondering how you will implement the the graphics for this. Are we
> going to use 2D tiles for the landscapes? If so there should be a
> constant height difference between two height levels. Otherwise we
> would need an infinite amount of tiles. Or are you going to use a real
> 3D engine to render a true 3d terrain?
Maybe the 3d view will just be an "experimental" options, and not visible
for the standard game ?  What do you (and other) think ?
I find this view very addictive, so also very frustrating because
it break some graphics, (for example the really nice bridges just
look bad in 3d view)

I wanted to see this 3d, and hope this can (re-)motivate other people,

I see only one solution for keeping current tiles:
- warp them to insure continuity of the ground
- maybe draw "warped-ground" first, and building without ground ?

I think this is the maximum we can do with current isomectric view and
tiles, and that jumping to a real 3d is not feasible soon (and i am
not even competent to estimate the workload)

> It's great that we are able to chose a climate type in the new game
> menu now. I just think the temperate climate should have less desert
> tiles.
I'll do some tuning to fix this.

I saw you draw other tiles while i was away from Lincity, great job again :)

Greetings.
Alain