I would like to point out that emails from Lincoln Schools include the
disclaimer, "In compliance with MGL C.66, all email correspondence to and from
the Lincoln Public Schools is archived and may be a public record."  Because of
this, staff do not send confidential information or attachments (such as IEPs
or testing results) via email and advise parents not to write anything in an
email or send attachments that they do not want made public.

So, while emails may be addressed to parents because they are the recipients of
immediate concern, they do not contain confidential health information and
there is no legal basis for expecting them to remain exclusive to the parent
community, and no justification for demanding that they be.  I agree with
Barbara Low that there is significant public benefit to distributing the
"anonymized," summary data about the COVID testing results in our schools and
in the Town generally.

What is that old advice about never putting anything in writing that you
wouldn't want published in the newspaper?  The School District and the School
Committee member's actions are in line, as is LincolnTalk's permitting the
posting.

Andrew Pang