Dear Jacqueline:

While changing providers might be a solution, I think more pertinent is what
expectations you set in advance with any provider--and get in writing as
commitments from them.  Have you discussed what you want with your current plow
company?  They might be unable or unwilling to meet your standards, or might do
so for a higher fee.  You'll have to see what your fellow homeowners are
willing to pay for.  Our homeowners association has a very detailed, 3-page
contract with our plow company that spells out what we want from them and they
price services accordingly.

To be frank, our street is an icy mess now, too.  Why?  The last snow/sleet/ice
storm was less than 2 inches in depth and our contract calls for them to plow
only for 2 inches or more--we're unwilling to pay for plowing small
accumulations, and usually that works out fine.  We also do not require them to
pre-treat the pavement before storms, which Lincoln does on public roads and
makes a big difference.  So, this week our company has done precisely what we
asked of them and contractracted for: nothing.  Then, sun and traffic caused
some melting, which partly refroze before the rains last night.  When
circumstances conspire in this way, any homeowners can just call to ask for
plowing or sanding the road, but the company does not have carte blanche to do
services (and bill).

Mainly, my point is not to assume that just changing contractors will get the
results you seek.  Talking it through in detail and getting the agreement in
writing is more likely to succeed--whether with a new contractor or your
existing one.

Andrew Pang
Brooks Hill Homeowners Association