I think what the Cambridge Water Department was saying was that after a search
of all the published literature at the time, they found that it was geese poop,
not dog poop, that posed a threat to drinking water quality, so they allow dogs
off leash around Fresh Pond. The fence keeps dogs and animals (and people) from
swimming in the water, but the dog waste still seeps into the ground and ends
up in the water, but it hasn’t caused a problem for them. Dog waste seeping
into the ground is the rationale ( I think) that our Water Department is giving
for no longer allowing dogs off leash around Flint’s Pond. Apparently, this is
not become an issue around Fresh Pond despite the fact that the path is VERY
HEAVILY traveled by dogs and people. It’s like a highway there.

So, I would just be curious for a response to this from our Conservation
Commission, our Water Department, and the LLCT at the next Zoom meeting because
at the last meeting they stated that no analysis had actually been done on
Flint’s Pond to determine what the source of the ecoli problem was. It could
have likely been the geese.

I’m not bringing this up for any personal reasons. I don’t go around Flint’s
Pond much at all. I prefer the Pine Hill loop on the other side of Sandy Pond
Road which I am on daily, but I think it’s important that any change in rules
be based on the right information, particularly since it has been this way for
many decades. This would be an historic change.