Stephanie,

Codman farm is under a conservation restriction. It can not be developed.
The wetlands around the train station and Lincoln can not be developed. The
HCA does not override the many land use regulations in the state. It does
not require that the town create any housing. It is important to understand
that it addresses zoning not housing production.

The zoning by-laws define what can be built "by right"; that is, without
permission, and what can be built with a special permit. The difference
between a special permit and by right is whether or not the town can say
"no".  For by-right we can't say no, for a special permit we can. State law
requires that all land on which it is legal to build have a by-right use.
For most of Lincoln the by-right use is a single family house. The HCA says
that MBTA towns must provide a certain amount of multi-family "by right"
zoning at 15 units or more per acre. The affected land is only land where
it is already legal to build. The question is: what can legally be built
there?

Note that even for by right uses we can impose "reasonable regulation",
which includes site plan review on large properties.

A good part of our current multi-family housing is on land that is zoned
single family by right and is multi-family by special permit.

If you are interested in this topic it is helpful to become familiar with
our GIS system at https://www.axisgis.com/lincolnma/, the zoning by-laws,
and the state regulations. What's nice about the GIS is that it's color
coded. It doesn't have the definitions of the various zones, for that you
have to read the zoning by-law and the underlying Massachusetts statues.

Margaret