We have started a robust discussion on LincolnTalk about the new community
center.  It appears that after spending a short amount of time looking at
the other available properties in the town, the committee has decided to
only focus resources going forward on building a new facility on the
Hartwell campus.

*Underused town resources require maintenance*

We are a small town with many underused town resources.  Some of our town
buildings are in need of overdue maintenance.  Shouldn’t all town buildings
be ADA and handicap accessible?

Bemis needs a refresh and it will require ongoing maintenance even if we
build a community center.  Shouldn’t we figure out how much this future
underused building will cost the town to keep it in good shape?  Or are
people suggesting the plan is to take it down at some point?

The Pierce House has so much deferred maintenance that it may become unsafe
in the near future.  The interior  reminds me of Miss Havisham’s home from
Great Expectations.  Without a Pip or Estella to maintain it, we have
allowed this generous gift from the Pierce family to fall into major
disrepair.   As a key town property, we need to properly maintain the
Pierce House and the grounds.   Why not create a better use of the building
than a Wedding Factory?

The world also appears to be going more and more digital.  Could some of
the space of the town library be re-purposed for other town needs?

At a minimum, the town needs to properly plan for Bemis and Pierce House
maintenance (ADA compliance).  As a homeowner, I know nothing gets
maintained or fixed by itself.  Would these spaces meet some, many or most
of the needs of COA with some investment?

*Time to take a LEAP?*

The current LEAP facilities are  in dire need of an upgrade. Our brand new
school is way too large for our needs; we should investigate options for
adding new community usage within it.  For most Lincoln residents who are
not familiar with the layout,  Lincoln School Interior Final Plan
<https://lincolnsbc.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Lincoln-School_1-23-2019-Interior_FINAL.pdf>
is
the final interior plan from the school building committee website.  The
school’s 165K square feet should be able to host 1,000 students (based upon
Mass State Building Standards)It is very important to note that the school
was designed for 650+ students and currently has only 550 (PK-8).
Enrollment has consistently been going down and we don’t expect a reversal
in trend where we would all of sudden have a need for an additional 100
students. We have significantly more classrooms than number of sections.  I
propose we take a careful look at how our school’s 165K sqft are being used
and repurpose some of it to be part of a new LEAP.  Leap is 100% after
school and could take advantage of all of the bathroom, playgrounds, hvac
and other facilities in the school at minimal cost.  Some will argue that
we cannot use school facilities because projects/materials, etc will be
disturbed but there are empty/underutilized spaces given the school was
built for a much higher enrollment.  If Leap needs even more space, then
let’s add space to the school as I believe having after Leap in the school
just makes more sense.  Adding new space would be materially cheaper than
hosting it in a new community center or updating Hartwell B.  Reconfiguring
some of the existing classroom/hub layout would even be cheaper than any
other building option for Leap.

*Does a stage belong in the new community center?*

Many of you all don’t know this, but the old Smith Gym used to have a stage
at the end of the gym.   In the new school, the old stage was redesigned as
the K-4 Music Room.  From the CCBC presentations, one of the users of a new
stage at the Community Center would be the Smith School Musical
productions.  I think it would be much less costly to find a new home for
the current Music Room and recreate the Smith Stage in the Smith Gym where
it belongs.  That will make it more convenient for kids both during school
and after school to participate in theatre productions.

*“Nice to haves” vs “Must haves”*

It appears to me that both COA and Parks and Recs are struggling to justify
their space needs.  We see programs that are earmarked to be relocated to
the new Community Center without historical details of how many people
participated in the offering on average (and maximum) in the past year or
two.   Maybe we can use the “fix-it”/arts and crafts room for more than
just arts and crafts and use it more hours of the day.

For instance, does Parks and Rec really need a conference room to host the
summer camp staff?  I am of the understanding that the summer camp uses the
school for bathrooms and inclement weather.  Surely, can’t we all agree
that having a staff office in the current school during the summer time
makes more sense than in the community center?

Another interesting point, vaccine clinics are labeled as “cannot stay” at
the First Parish Church and therefore *must *be relocated to the new
community center. I have been to vaccine clinics at the school gym and they
have worked flawlessly. I am not sure if First Parish vaccine clinics are
different than the ones held at the school, but could they not all continue
to be held at the school? Are we suggesting, by labeling these as “cannot
stay” that unless we build a community center, we will have to stop vaccine
clinics? Does this apply to all the other activities in the “cannot stay”
section?

*Other thoughts*

Wayland, a much larger town than ours is building a new senior center that
is much smaller than the proposed plans.  Wayland expects to host 200
people at a time in their community center for both COA and Parks and Rec
programs in this much smaller building – do we really expect the need for
more space in Lincoln? There is a disconnect somewhere that needs to be
explained. Let’s not make the same mistake we did with our
disproportionately big school and build a 23K+ sqft community center
without really understanding what usage it will get.

Having a community center on the Hartwell campus would mean a large
increase in traffic. Do we really want all these additional drivers
navigating around pre-school Magic Garden children running into the
road/parking lot? I assume our school liability insurance would go up as a
result.  Has anyone investigated this?

I want to be clear, I think we need to invest in the COA.  Let’s see if we
can make it wonderful while being responsible with our resources and
meeting our long standing commitment to our beautiful buildings.

Peter Buchthal

71 Weston Rd.