The problem is that we don’t have any solid numbers. We do not know our
current usage  and  we lack any sensible projections for future
state/growth. How do we know if we’re building the right size for now or
for the future?

One thing we do know is that towns the same size or much bigger than ours
in total population (not just seniors) are building community centers
smaller than what we are proposing. Bear in mind that these towns also have
tax bills lower than Lincoln's yet are being more modest with the burden
they’re asking their citizens to carry.

If we push our town's and residents' finances to the limit on a single
building, there will be little left over to actually fund valuable programs
and services.

The residents of this town are being presented with another FALSE CHOICE.
Previously, residents voted for our oversized new school because the old
school was in bad shape and was presented to the town as we
either repair the old school which wasn't sensible or build a new school.
  Like the school building project, we  need a new Council on Aging.  But,
do we need the new building  at the Hartwell campus?

At Hartwell, I have many concerns.
            1) COA will only be able to use the building from
9-2:30 M,Tu,Th,Fri and Wed 9-1 to minimize the possibility of traffic
related accidents/issues.
            2) No one has shown how many parking spots will be left after
all the school employees, school visitors/parents, Magic Garden employees,
Leap employees, and tennis players park their cars during the day.  What is
the maximum number of seniors that can even attend COA programming based
upon available parking?  The building they are proposing is being sized to
serve 85+ people at one time (my guess: Staff 5, Volunteers 5, Dining 50,
other rooms 25+).  Even if my numbers are a bit high, I am trying to make
the point that  building a new facility with limited hours and parking
doesn't seem like a good plan.  Most people drive in Lincoln to events, to
think otherwise is silly at this point.

If we want a real community center, I would renovate the Pierce House, add
a wing with handicap bathrooms, offices, meeting rooms, AND repurpose
the large open fields as soccer/play fields.  The town needs additional
fields and every Saturday, the 250+ families in town who use the sports
fields could get together and enjoy the new Pierce House.  To me, that
sounds like a better Community Center than what is being proposed.

Peter Buchthal
71 Weston Rd