Waterlands and septics can be taken out for "gross density"
<https://www.mass.gov/info-details/section-3a-guidelines#6.-minimum-gross-density->
calculations per 3A guidelines, BUT publicly owned land CANNOT.

The 9.9 acres in the Sudbury parcel that are owned by the town cannot be
excluded from the denominator in the density calculation. The calculation
shared by Margaret of 21 units per acre is not accurate, since it removes
publicly owned land. According to the guidelines, the Sudbury project has a
density of 274 units in 26-3.1=22.9 acres or 12 units per acre, below the
15 units per acre needed for HCA compliance. *Any zoning approved in
Lincoln that pertains to follow the guidelines would have to be DENSER than
what is being built in Sudbury. *Rob is right - I encourage folks to take a
look at the Subdury project here
<https://sudbury.ma.us/pcd/2020/05/07/cold-brook-crossing-residential-development-planning-board-permitting-application-materials/>
.

I would also point out that the RLF proposed a plan to build at a density
of 25 units per acre (slide 48
<https://www.lincolntown.org/DocumentCenter/View/79138/2023-06-16-HCA-Public-Forum-Slide-Deck?bidId=>).
That is almost twice as dense as the project in Sudbury.

The model Rob is building will help people understand the enormity of the
changes being floated.

The working group has not explained why it is solely concerned with
following the guidelines, which keep changing and could continue to change
even after we vote for any hypothetical rezoning. Guidelines are not law
nor regulation. We should be more concerned with what the law states than
with attempting to follow guidelines that are merely interpretations of the
law by government agencies and are constantly changing.

———————-

Section 3A guidelines – 6. Minimum Gross Density

a.         District-wide gross density

To meet the district-wide gross density requirement, the dimensional
restrictions and parking requirements for the multi-family zoning district
must allow for a gross density of 15 units per acre of land within the
district.  By way of example, to meet that requirement for a 40-acre
multi-family zoning district, the zoning must allow for at least 15
multi-family units per acre, or a total of at least 600 multi-family units.

For purposes of determining compliance with Section 3A’s gross density
requirement, the EOHLC compliance model will not count in the denominator
any excluded land located within the multi-family zoning district, except
public rights-of-way, private rights-of-way, and publicly-owned land used
for recreational, civic, commercial, and other nonresidential uses.  This
method of calculating minimum gross density respects the Zoning Act’s
definition of gross density—“a units-per-acre density measurement that
includes land occupied by public rights-of-way and any recreational, civic,
commercial and other nonresidential uses”—while making it unnecessary to
draw patchwork multi-family zoning districts that carve out wetlands and
other types of excluded land that are not developed or developable.

c.         Wetland and septic considerations relating to density

Section 3A provides that a district of reasonable size shall have a minimum
gross density of 15 units per acre, “subject to any further limitations
imposed by section 40 of chapter 131 and title 5 of the state environmental
code established pursuant to section 13 of chapter 21A.”  This directive
means that even though the zoning district must permit 15 units per acre as
of right, any multi-family housing produced within the district is subject
to, and must comply with, the state wetlands protection act and title 5 of
the state environmental code—even if such compliance means a proposed
project will be less dense than 15 units per acre.