"By Right" in general means a right to build within the parameters of the
zoning bylaw and other regulations. The zoning includes restrictions on
setbacks (distance from property lines) and height. Other regulations from
both the state and the town regulate things like drainage, septic, distance
from wetlands, etc. In Site Plan Review the planning board regulates
circulation (traffic) and in the case of 3A, the design guidelines. We can
have requirements around the sizes and number of windows, where the parking
is located, and other elements of building style.  We can't make
unreasonable requirements, e.g. a hand carved marble facade, as a backdoor
way of denying a by-right use.

In other words, no a developer can not build whatever they want at whatever
size they want. We can't say "no you can't build a 15 units per acre
development" in an area zoned for 15 units per acre, but we can say a great
deal about the development of the site and what the buildings look like.