Jeffrey,
The engineering studies required by wetlands protection, stormwater
management, board of health, and other regulations would be the
responsibility of any developer proposing a building. This is no different
from a single family house in the majority of the town where a single
family house is the "by right" use. Zoning controls what can be built
assuming the proposed building complies with all other regulations. For
example, our single family zoning in most of the town is 80,000 sq feet.
That does not mean that a house can be built on any arbitrary 80,000 sq
foot parcel - wetlands and a lack of land suitable for septic may rule out
building anything on the lot.

Margaret