The zoning contains a minimum level of affordability. As John points out
the town can, as it has in the past, negotiate higher levels of
affordability. Oriole Landing at 25% is well above their zoning requirement
of 15%.

The reason we can not mandate 15% affordable is because the study the town
commissioned showed that to not be economically feasible. In practice what
that means is that nothing will be built in the current economic
environment if we mandate 15%; in other words if the entire financial
burden is borne by the developer.

If affordable units are a priority the town can subsidize those units as we
have in the past or we could alter economics by relaxing height or other
restrictions in return for more affordable units.

One note when comparing developments and costs: interest rates and
construction costs are substantially higher now than they were
pre-pandemic. What worked then might or might not work now.

Margaret