Tomorrow we are voting on the approach to HCA compliance. At a very high
level answering the question: Where are we putting the multi-family housing
for HCA compliance? This is a "sense of the town" vote. No matter the
result of that vote we will not be compliant with the HCA after the vote
and we will not have zoning regulations that implement HCA compliance.

In March we will vote on the zoning by-law. The zoning by-law will
implement the approach chosen on Saturday. The zoning by-law controls the
characteristics of the built environment. In addition to height, setback,
and story restrictions, zoning by-law specifies what uses are legal (e.g.
retail, residential, etc),  what glazing is required (e.g. no blank walls
facing the street), parking, the process by which projects are reviewed and
approved, inclusionary zoning, for mixed use buildings any restrictions on
where the commercial/retail activity is located and the amount of
commercial/retail space, and the design guidelines.

If the zoning by-law presented at town meeting in March is not acceptable
to the town it will be voted down. The planning board will at that point
need to solicit additional feedback, adjust the proposed zoning, and try
again at a subsequent special town meeting.