IDK exactly why, but all airports will change the “pattern”, meaning which
runways are used for take offs and landings, from time to time. This can be due
to winds, although yesterday was quite still, or, as I have been told, Hanscom
rotates their landing patterns so as to “share the pain” among the surrounding
towns.

Like you, I noted that some days, one could be swimming in the middle of Walden
Pond and see and hear a parade of aircraft flying overhead. Most days, they are
not there. It’s disconcerting.