On 21-07-15 20:37, David Mohr wrote:

> one quick question about the roadmap at this point: As far as I understand
> bcachefs basically integrates bcache features directly in the filesystem.
> So does this deprecate bcache itself in your opinion? Bcache is obviously
> still useful for other FS, but I just want to know how things will get
> maintained in the future.

If they remove bcache from the kernel a lot of peaple are going to have serious
troubles, as it's not easy to remove.
But to quote the developer:
"no don't worry. it's not going to be deleted from upstream"

> I wanted to suggest / possibly start implementing bcache support for the
> debian installer - obviously that only makes sense if I can expect it to be
> in the mainline kernel for the foreseeable future :-).

I can also make a quote on this question:
"the btree code is also hugely improved over what's in mainline, i'd like to
get the improvements backported but i think it's just way way too much work"
"bcache will be deprecated when a stable bcachefs is upstream (but it's going
to be awhile before the on disk format is stable again)"

More info on what bcachefs actually is:
You initialize some fast storage as a caching-device. These store a
btree-journal-change (or whatever is actually used internally) key-value
storage system on disk.
Next you can use this btree-caching-device to put a file system on top OR use
it to store the cache data for a caching-block-device.
(Not sure if you can combine a caching device and a backing device into the
same FS, but you will probably be able to.)

--
Killian De Volder