From: Young4ert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: via82cxxx_audio module loaded, but no sound
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 09:19:20 -0400

Yes.  Try the IP number instead if your system cannot resolve the IP of
the server, i.e.

        http://216.35.177.32/sound.html

I hope this helped.

-- =

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Bernd E=DFmann wrote:
> =

> Is the URL correct? I couldn't resolve the IP of this Server. Please
> repost correct URL. Thanks.
> =

> Junk Mail wrote:
> > I have the Epox 7KXA, and found that sound required the use of the AL=
SA

------------------------------

From: Leon Haverly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Word Perfect on HP 612C - anyone using?
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 09:32:55 -0400

hi,

i'm having extra spaces appearing between words in letters using the
hp612c printer and the deskjet600C in the wordperfect printer setup.
redhat 6.2

anyone seen or solved the prob ?
tia

--

bye, leon

Leon Haverly  Compuwork 770/426-5509 fax  916/314-5919 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
              Marietta, GA  30064    home 770/422-9355 www.compuwork.com

------------------------------

From: Johan De Wit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [looking for ] Skymedia information
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 13:41:04 GMT

I'm trying to put a website together for the "skymedia sat cards unde a =

unix environment"

Now I'm looking for experience people have/had using these cards under=20
linux (or other unixes).

The topics I want to cover are=20
Faq
Developers Doku
User Doku=20
HW Doku
Links
Software library

and maybe more.

If someone is willing to share info are give comments please drop a mail=
=20
to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks all for your time

Johan.=20

------------------------------

From: Amanda Hammond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help me install my network card?
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 09:44:12 -0400

<snip>
>This is deep water for a newbie.
I'll doggy-paddle then. :)

> I recommend finding a decent Linux book
>to wade through recompiling the kernel, etc.
>
>HTH

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to get that pile-o'-source-code
that you recommended.

Thanks,
Amanda

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 08:44:31 -0500
From: Ed Jamison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sonic Impact Sound

Anyone have experience with Sonic Impact Sound Cards?  I have a Sonic
Impact Aureal A3d Sound Card.

Thanks in advance.
Ed Jamison

------------------------------

From: Frederick Artiss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: xcdRoast making CDs which are not readable by Windows.
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 09:52:03 -0400

You didn't understand the point. UNDER LINUX (xcdroast), you have a whole host of
options about what filesystem to create on the CD. There are options to use "DOS"
or "Windows with long filenames". I would think that "DOS" would create ISO9660
files 8.3 compliant which should be readable by any OS.

------------------------------

From: "Tom Brinkman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: overtemp alarm?...please help!
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 09:26:22 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Jon C. Hurd"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently built my own system, but I'm getting an odd alarm.  It is an
> alternating high and low beeping tone.  It usually happens after then
> system has been running for a few hours.  I have rebooted my machine and
> gone to the bios to check the cpu temp.  It is typically 65 degrees
> Celsius.  The set cpu warning temp is 70 degrees Celsius and the
> shutdown temp is 75 degrees Celsius.  My system is as follows:

    The temp in bios is all but useless. The cpu can go up/down
several degrees in a few seconds.  So what you see in bios is
unrelated to the temp while actually running.  Get lm_sensor's
and or Khealthcare (for KDE) and you'll be able to monitor the
cpu temp while the cpu is under load.

    The cpu's core should be kept under 45C under extreme load,
eg, while running a program like cpuburn for best performance.
That's <45C measured from your p3's internal diode. If a thermistor
(probe) is used, no matter how well placed, the readings need to
be kept under 35C. IOW's any thermistor will report a temp that's
at least 10C cooler than the cpu's actual core temp.

   You've got to get your case temps cooler, and definitely the
cpu is too hot.  You're close to the max that Intel specs. You'll
get the best cooling advice from alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
and related web pages.

   I've got a p3-450 @ 608mhz, Khealthcare.  At idle the cpu's
internal temp is 22 to 26C, during a kernel compile or running
cpuburn it rarely gets up to 42C

   Tom Brinkman     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 16 May 2000 10:45:55 EDT

On Tue, 16 May 2000 09:52:03 -0400, Frederick Artiss
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:

>You didn't understand the point. UNDER LINUX (xcdroast), you have a whole
>host of options about what filesystem to create on the CD. There are
>options to use "DOS" or "Windows with long filenames". I would think
>that "DOS" would create ISO9660 files 8.3 compliant which should be
>readable by any OS.

Say WHAT?

mkisofs, which is the program that does the actual work of creating the
CD's filesystem, creates an ISO 9660 filesystem by default.  ISO 9660 CDs
always have all their filenames in 8+3 format.  mkisofs has several
options to add Joliet extensions and/or Rock Ridge extensions to the ISO
9660 filesystem.  These extensions allow for long filenames (both),
symbolic links, UID/GIDs, and more than 8 levels of subdirectories (Rock
Ridge.)  These extensions are supposed to be totally transparent if the
user mounts the CD using an OS or driver that doesn't understand Joliet or
Rock Ridge.

At least, that's what i've found... the Apex DVD player reads CDs full of
MP3s, but it can't handle Rock Ridge or Joliet extensions, so all the
filenames show up as 8 chars only.  This device is less intelligent than a
386 with DOS 6.2, so I don't know what the problem could be with your
system.

Another thing to keep in mind is that very old CD-ROM drives may not be
able to read CD-R media, and any CD-ROM made before 1998 has no chance of
reading CD-RW media.  All CD-RW-capable CD-ROM drives are supposed to have
the "MultiRead" logo on them, but I've found a few without the logo that
can read CD-RWs just fine.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| You have me mixed up with more
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| creative ways of being stupid?

------------------------------

From: Michael Green~ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to configure sound card
Date: 16 May 2000 14:59:40 GMT

I heard that the Creative SB16 ViBRA16X PnP soundcard was not able to play MP3 and
WAV files. I have been able to play .wav files, but I have  been having trouble
to no end trying to play MP3 and have not been successful.

Can anyone add any info to this rumor? Are there any workarounds or fixes? Is there
a way to get in touch with someone on specs, if I wanted to write a program to fix
this?

To give more deatails, I am using SUSE 6.2, kernel 2.2.10. I am using OSS 3.8.1z. I
can play
CDROM music okay, I can play .wav files, but cannot play mp3 files. Thanks. You can
email
directly if you like or you can email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED] Thanks.

Clayton Cheung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I am using Redhat 6.1 and Creative sound blaster, how can I get my sound
: card working? When booting, I saw 2 message related to sound said failed and
: one when it is shutting down.
: I read through the HOWTO folder and still don't get it.
: Cause I am very new so can anyone provide me a very easy to understand
: solution?(And very detail)
: Thank you.

: --
: Posted via CNET Help.com
: http://www.help.com/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 16 May 2000 11:19:24 EDT

[posted and mailed]
On 16 May 2000 14:59:40 GMT, Michael Green
<<8frnos$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:

>I heard that the Creative SB16 ViBRA16X PnP soundcard was not able to
>play MP3 and WAV files. I have been able to play .wav files, but I have
>been having trouble to no end trying to play MP3 and have not been
>successful.

This seems really odd.  Do you have the mpg123 program?  It's available on
http://freshmeat.net if you don't have it... I suggest getting that
program, compiling it, and using it to try and play an MP3 file.  If
nothing else, it will give you detailed error messages with the following
command, and those error messages could provide insight to you/someone
here:

mpg123 -y -v somefile.mp3

>To give more deatails, I am using SUSE 6.2, kernel 2.2.10. I am using OSS
>3.8.1z. I can play CDROM music okay, I can play .wav files, but cannot
>play mp3 files.

If the soundcard can play .wavs, then it should be able to play MP3s,
since mp3 players decompress the mp3s in chunks, turning the mp3 data into
standard PCM data (like .wavs), which gets piped to the audio device.  As
a last resort, you can turn an mp3 into a wav using the command:

mpg123 -w something.wav something.mp3

and then play the .wav using whatever!  This is not optimal, but it should
work...  HTH,

From: aflinsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: tape drives
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 11:10:57 -0500

"David C." wrote:

> Ross Litscher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > I would like to get some sort of backup media to use in linux. not a
> > cd-burner. I thought tape a tape drive just because maybe over the
> > past few years they have gotten inexpensive, but i'm not sure.
> > Basically i just want to schedule periodic backups.
>
> A tape drive is your only viable alternative.
>
> Removable media (like Zip, Jaz, CD, etc) are too expensive to make a full
> backup of your system.  My Linux box, for example, has about 3G of files
> on a 9G drive.  Assuming a typical compression ratio of 1.5:1, this 3G
> of data will require about 2G of storage.  This means:
>         - 20 Zip disks (about $200 worth of media, and you'll have to
>           change disks 19 times during the backup run)
>         - two 1G Jaz cartridges (about $180 and one disk swap)
>         - one 2G Jaz cartridge (about $110 worth of media)
>         - four CD-R disks (about $6, three disk swaps, and not reusable)
>      or - four CD-RW disks (about $12, and three disk swaps).
>
> Only the CD solution is really affordable, and you still have to swap
> media three times, which means you either need a CD burner that can hold
> multiple disks (they are expensive) or can't go too far from the
> computer while the backup is running.

     <SNIP LOTS OF GOOD REASONS TO USE TAPE>

My vote would actually be to use CDRs or CDRWs for the following
reasons

Typically one does not actually need to backup the entire file system.
In a diaster situation, one can reinstall from scratch, then restore
/etc & /home & whatever was not on the original distro disks.  On my
system (10G drive with about 1.5G of user data) this equates to a
weekly full backup tarballs of about 300-400M and daily incrementals
from the full backup (not from prior day) of 50-80M on average. In my
case a full set of backups for an entire week easily fits onto a
single cd. In a complete diaster situation, restoring the system to
another machine (install from distro disks, restore last weekly
backup, restore last daily backup, takes about 1 hour).

If you are going to buy a new toy, a cd burner has more uses thatn a
tape drive ;)

Another important thing to consider is system usage. A typical home
user has very different backup requirements than a large corporation.
The original query did not mention exactly what the backup needs were.

------------------------------

From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Does anyone here run Windows98 + Linux on a single SCSI hard drive?
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 16:48:05 +0100

"Sam E. Trenholme" wrote:

[snip]

> >I installed Slackware 7.0, it recognizes my Apatec 29160N a-ok with
> >the a7xxx.s boot image, and both my CD-ROM (TEAC CD-532S) and my CD-R
> >(HP 9210).
> >
> >When I told LILO to install at the Superblock, and changed the
> >'bootable' flag to point to the Linux Native partition, I got a
> >"Missing operating system"
>
> The problem is that you are using an older LILO that will only boot if the
> kernel is on the first 1024 cylinders.  Since you are using Slackware, I
> assume that you want to do things the hard way.

This is a matter of opinion. Some of us like slackware and hate all the
silly guis that just get in the way. Of course they can be uninstalled but
I prefer the simplicity of Slackware.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 15:51:50 GMT

On 16 May 2000 10:45:55 EDT, Dances With Crows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Tue, 16 May 2000 09:52:03 -0400, Frederick Artiss
><<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>
>>You didn't understand the point. UNDER LINUX (xcdroast), you have a whole
>>host of options about what filesystem to create on the CD. There are
>>options to use "DOS" or "Windows with long filenames". I would think
>>that "DOS" would create ISO9660 files 8.3 compliant which should be
>>readable by any OS.
>
>Say WHAT?
>
>mkisofs, which is the program that does the actual work of creating the
>CD's filesystem, creates an ISO 9660 filesystem by default.  ISO 9660 CDs
>always have all their filenames in 8+3 format.  mkisofs has several

        Even with some of the funkier 'this will break things' options
        turned on, mkisofs manages to create images that Windows can
        deal with.

        Might this person be running into the 'lets BSOD on reading a
        Rock Ridge disk' problem that certain revisions of NT4 has?
        This was the first thing I encountered when I started burning
        discs.

[deletia]

        Without going to the trouble of mastering an ext2fs CD, I don't
        see how this fellow could manage to make a disc Windows couldn't
        deal with.

        There are also localization differences between Win95 and Win98.
        They likely aren't relevant here, but there are some CD's that are
        readable on Win98 but not on Win95.

--

    In what language does 'open' mean 'execute the evil contents of'    |||
    a document?      --Les Mikesell                                    / | \

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bgeer)
Crossposted-To:
alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Second NIC problem - Redhat 6
Date: 16 May 2000 09:52:58 -0600

 >"....." wrote:
 >> I just installed redhat 6. My box has 2 NIC's both 3com 905b PCI.
 >> I can't seem to get the 2nd NIC to work.

905's can be a bit quirky - be sure you have the latest 3c59x.c driver
file from:

  http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html

--
<> Robert Geer & Donna Tomky  |               *             <>
<>    [EMAIL PROTECTED]      |    _o      *   o *      o   <>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 11:12:59 -0500
From: tabascox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi David and others,

Thanks for your help. Following your suggestions, I bought a
USED HP DAT DSS-2, I payd 90$ and it is a 4/8 GB DAT.
The next problem is easy:
which kind of software I should use for linux-backup ??
(which software do you use ???).
I am running my Linux box at work (.edu), and I need to store 4-5 GB,
automatically, every week-end.
I read that taper can store up to 2GB in a cassette, is this true or
the FAQ is not updated ?? In the future I will buy a DSS-4 for
our Alpha station and I should be able to store 12-16 GB..

Thanks for you effort keeping us "Microsoft outside"

Stefano