On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, Vadim Vygonets wrote:

> > [...] I still recommend renaming [ILUG] to GILI [...]
>
> Gili means what?

Group of Israeli Linux IMG

IMG: Israeli Members of GILI

seriously, ILUG is a joke-name I once used and to my horror people took
it seriously. ILUG (ayin Yud Lamed Vav Gimel) spells "lameness" to
me. GILI is a cool, refreshing, young, happy name, more descruptive of
the spirit of Linux. I know some of you may look at linux as "another
one of those drabby boring Unix monstrous things I work with and it's
nothing to write home about" but for me it's also the cultural
"thing" around it. I think 3-4 others on this list take my view of it.

so maybe a "Group of Israeli Linux I-vangelists" we're not...

I also offered "Israeli Group of Linux Users" - IGLU

> > I think we should wise up and start a newbie help group.
>
> Not me.

hey. it's too cocky for me to compare us against SVLUG (the other LUG in
which I was a member for so very long time now), but still, this group
is not too good at being open to newbies and spreading the word. which
is not the spirit of Linux in the rest of the world at least.

> > ehm... Vadik, there's a slight contradiction to the above mentioned here
> > :-)
>
> Oh, yes.  Should I delete one of these, or should I claim that,
> in its own mysterious Zen way, it's not a contradiction?

if the user compiled libzen version 2.07 or newer and installed it
correctly, it should be no problem.

> > did anyone invite
> > Mr. Hall to speak for us next week since he happens to be in Israel?
>
> Who's Mr. Hall?

Jon "Mad Dog" Hall will be guest speaker at Comdex this week. he is head
of the Compaq Unix products division and president of Linux
International (li.org).

> > well, I'll work on that mirror server,
>
> In California?

no, Rosh Ha'ayin.

--
Ira Abramov ;  whois:IA58  ;  www.scso.com ;  all around Linux enthusiast
/usr/share/games/fortunes/C/linux: No such file or directory