On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Stanislav Malyshev a.k.a Frodo wrote:

> M>> i want to run squid 2.2.5 on linux but i need lots of swap space
> M>> (at least 2 GB). I know that kernel 2.2.13 support over 128 MB in
> M>> one swap partition, but i do not know if it can support more then
> M>> 1 GB.

squid has two versions, one of them, for REAL preofessional use is the
one marked "NO VM", and it makes sense to have a cache server decide
when to cache to memory and when to the disk (squid does both). if you
let it use VM (i.e. page memory to disk instead of as files) you lose
the high optimisation its' creators achieved. if you have a home machine
which is a gateway to only 2 other machines, the swapping version is
fine. for any other setup, use lots of RAM and use the NOVM, so squid
manages better.

--
Ira Abramov ;  whois:IA58  ;  www.scso.com ;  all around Linux enthusiast
fortune: too many tries