On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> As for a web interface - I guess it's pointless to mention the name
> eGr???s again, so I won't...

why not? I've shouted "egroups" here far too many times. I was ignored,
but nobody objected either.

ok, I say we start it as a test. right now we have an archive that is
open to harvesters, and a listar manager that changes every few
months. moving to Egroups will give us:

* spam protected web archives
* choice of reading online, in Email, full digests or header digests
* polls
* chat room for online meetings
* calendar of events, and other cool features too many to list here
* remote management can be delegated dynamicly to any group member
* better return time of messages from the list (Listar shortened
majordomo's response time from hours to minutes, Egroups takes usually
only seconds)

I can tell you I have been using their service for over 2 years now very
happily. I don't mind even donating the monthly $5 it costs to keep the
ads away. I don't get any spam through them either.

what say you? vote with your fingers! add yourselves here to test it:

http://www.egroups.com/group/iglu/

if we have a mass of over half the list (how many subscribers do we
have, Ely?) move over, I think we can declare it official. any of the
frequent posters wanting manager rights just has to ask me, this is how
a community should work!

> Back to the original topic - There are some mailing lists with nntp
> interface. From the little I know - not all of them are filled with spam.
> Is it because of some brutal filtering methods , or very active list
> managers?

or it never leaves one specific nntp server and doesn't get to nntp
servers viewed by spammers...

> As for me personally - using no filters what so ever, I have only recived
> very few spam messages, and I don't exactly hide my email. But then again
> - I'm not a very active poster.

I am, and believe me it hurts. I filter hard and mercilessly, and I
still get 10-12 a day.

so again, please check out:
http://www.egroups.com/group/iglu/

we can set it up as a sublist of huji's but I think it will prevent us
from using all the creative management features.

--
Ira Abramov ;  whois:IA58  ;  www.scso.com ;  all around Linux enthusiast
"[In 'Doctor' mode], I spent a good ten minutes telling Emacs what I