On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 04:37:00PM +0200, Ilan Cohen wrote:
> I have i386 based machine with ASUS SIS 964/180 SATA/RAID and it seem
> tha Linux (redhat 9.0) or Debian 3r5 don't
> Recognize it - what should I do so it will see the SATA drive.
> Thanks,
>             Ilan.

RedHat 9.0 is obsolete. RedHat has stopped maintaining that direct
product line and it has stopped reciving even direct maintinance over a
year ago. Save yourself the trouble and don't use it for new
installations.

If you like/used-to RedHat, then you have a number of simple options to
choose from:

* Fedora. Develops fast. Some say that too fast and that it is the
  playground of RH. Still, it has a live community. The Fedora Legacy
  does seem to sort-of work so you may even have maintinance for about a
  year after the end of official maintinance by RH.

* RH's commercial RHEL line. Comes with a price tag and with 5 years of
  guaranteed maintinance by RH.

* CentOS, WhiteBox, and other RHEL clones. Use the code of RHEL, rebuild
  it and strip it off the RH trademarks (as required by RH's trademark
  usage guidelines). CentOS seems to be doing quite well

As for Debian: if the deployment is not right away, you probably should
go for Sarge, as it has already been frozen and will probably be
officially released quite soon (in a Debian scale). It is already widely
used. And the installer is much simpler :-)

And as for woody (3.0): did you try all of the kernels that come with
it? Specifically: the 2.4fb kernel?

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | VIM is
[EMAIL PROTECTED] |                           |  best