Hi all,

This isn't more on topic than the original subject, but I allow myself
to share this very valuable information. From the NEWS file of GNU tar
version 1.15 (which isn't in Debian unstable yet, I do not even remember
how come I ran into this):
"version 1.15 - Sergey Poznyakoff, 2004-12-20

* Compressed archives are recognised automatically, it is no longer
necessary to specify -Z, -z, or -j options to read them. Thus, you can
now run `tar tf archive.tar.gz'."

:-)

It's irrelevant for Ira's question, as tar can't guess if you want to
compress an archive. But now it knows to decompress it. If it had this
option a few years ago, it would sure have saved me a few tens of times
re-running tar commands with j and z replaced. But of course I prefferd
to suffer than to think a bit and write such a patch myself (or even
a wrapper script).
--
Didi