On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Amos Shapira wrote:

On 8/19/05, Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Check the grounding of your computer case and of the modem. I have seen
cable installations that would input >5Vac into the cable ground from
ground fault currents plus scary glitch voltages when A/C was switched
on and off.

I dunno where you live but many old in Tel-Aviv and surroundings
don't have grounding at all (I first found this out from getting
"electrocuted" from the D-frame of the serial port).

I live in a place with no GFI and I am very good at not touching equipment cases or cables while not wearing shoes ;-(

I will not even start talking about the plumbing ;-( ;-(

Peter