Thanks, Amos Shapira and Rami Rosen.

I use kopete and when I start it up, various Qt related error messages
show up but it seems to work OK.
I ended up createing a new account on MS-Passport and then saw no
failure to connect (but no actual communication with the user in
question either, the user is probably offline at the moment).

I still have a problem connecting to ICQ from kopete (however licq has
been working for me for long time).
The problem is that the password, which works on licq - does not work on
kopete connection.
I tried to delete and recreate the ICQ account definition in kopete, but
this was not successful.

I did verify that kopete is trying to connect to the same ICQ server
+port as licq.

Did anyone else encounter problems connecting to ICQ from kopete?  If
yes, how did he work around them?  Did anyone try editing
~/.kde/share/config/kopeterc manually?
                                            --- Omer

--
MS-Windows is the Pal-Kal of the PC world.

I may be affiliated in any way.