On 9/14/05, Aaron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> my subject unfortuentely says it all.
>
> I am using debian and with a mixed bag of sources.
>
> I upgraded my system to stable (which was previously sarge and stable was
> woody) but didn't change my sources.list.

How did you do the upgrade? Did you use dist-upgrade? I think this is the way to
"jump" from one version to the next.

> I hadn't however changed any system files and only removed a few apps.
>
> But my printing was broken so in an attempt to get it to work I tried
> upgrading cupsys and then the dunce factor apt-get complained about a lib it
> needed but wasn't available. When had already done forced the newer packages
> of cups and was with a new set of problems by then.
>
> The bottom line, apt-get complains that inorder to fix the problem it will
> first need to remove e2fsprogs:
>
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
> E: This installation run will require temporarily removing the essential
> package e2fsprogs due to a Conflicts/Pre-Depends loop. This is often bad, but
> if you really want to do it, activate the APT::Force-LoopBreak option.
> E: Internal Error, Could not early remove e2fsprogs
>
> but to my sorry I couldn't get it to agree to -o apt::forceloopbreak=true,
> and I am reluctant to manually remove it for fear my partitions will be
> unreadable.

I understand your fear but e2fsprogs is essential only if you have to run fsck
or re-create the filesystem. They are not for plain-mount of the filesystem.
Try maybe to get a good rescue CD (debian install CD?) handy and then proceede
with removing the looping depends.

> Any ideas would be most welcome.

Maybe try to dig about dist-upgrade and google for the error messages
you get.

> Thanks
> Aaron

HTH,