On 9/25/05, Alexander Indenbaum
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 9/24/05, Amos Shapira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > I think for intra-home usage and internet connectivity fast/100mb
> > > infrastructure will be sufficient till year 2010 at least :)
> >
> > Which will happen in less than 5 years.
>
> Actually, by 2010 I meant "the time when humans will visit Jupiter"
> More info at: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086837/

And 10Mbit/sec shared among dozens of X terminals connected to a
quad-cpu Sparc servers looked like the peak of technology just 10 years
ago, and don't get me startted on what was the international line bandwidth
for the entire academic network not long before that.

> > Don't think that just because it sounds rediculous today it's not going to
> > come. I'd side with Maxim's recommandation on this one, especially that
> > I expect that the relative addition to price isn't high(?). Heck - I'd look
> > for
> > the most advanced LAN technology I can afford which will be relevant
> > for the next 10-20 years and put it now. It's mostly a matter of how much
> > will you save if you avoid the "best" option.
> >

> I'm not sure that this particular case falls under bigger - better category.
>
> I'd like to remind you that modern PC hardware could not utilize 1G
> bandwidth network - it really can't in most cases :) There is neither

Actually it does - just read the news - people don't utilize the full power
of their PC's today and nobody knows why they keep buying faster
machines.

Also see that PC's are not the only game on the LAN - game consoles and
Video-over-IP will bring tons of network usage over the next ten years, probably
much sooner. (e.g. I see people already today record digital TV on
their linux machines with MythTV and then want to play it on their HDTV sets
without having to physically move the bits into the set)

> Saying that I agree that high-end industrial server room or from other
> hand distributed system/cluster interconnect would benefit from 1G
> Ethernet.

Maybe I wasn't clear but I was reffering to the cables ONLY. Putting new
cables will be one thing you'd wish not to have to go through yet again,
you can still stick the run of the mill 10/100Mbit switches to their end, but
one day, not too far in the future (my take - long before 2010), you'll be able
to just buy a second-hand multi-Gbit switch disposed off by some NY
lawyer's office over eBay and just "seat back und watch der blinking
lichts" (Marc - can you get me the original refference for this great quote?)
while your kids have full-screen video conference+multi-player games with
family abroad :). I know it might sound futuristic to many (most?) people
here but I see it already here.

> > BTW - do you have enough spare room in your tunnles to add cables later?
>
> Hopefully.

Just a point to pay attention to...

> > Remember how just a few years ago cellulars that do video-conference
> > (or even just PTT gadgets style Star-Trek) looked like science fiction and
> > now you can't remember when you first saw it in the street, now imagine
> > having to buy a new set of cables and having to re-wire your home in just
> > 4-5 years.
>
> And I thought cell phones are for making calls :)

Exactly my point, again...:)

Cheers,

--Amos