On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 22:40 +0200, Nadav Har'El wrote:
> Let's compare a few clock applications:
>
> app                   VIRT    RES     NOTE
> xdaliclock            3756    796
> oclock                        3632    1540
> xclock                        8544    2976
> kclock.kss            25840   8164
> clock-applet (Gnome)  90212   11256   (only the applet process)
> clock_panelapplet (KDE)       33664   12028   (for "kicker" with only a clock
> applet)

Hardly fair - Kicker does tons of stuff even when no applet is loaded -
its the entire panel mechanism (including the main menu, or without ?).
If you want to compare apples and apples, you should compare your KDE
figure with the sum of gnome's clock applet and gnome-panel (entirely -
everything that is painted on the gnome-panel is out-of-process).

> Trying to understand where Gnome's clock-applet's huge VIRT comes from,
> I discovered something very interesting. It start with just 28 MB of VIRT,
> but at the moment you right-click on the clock, and a menu pops up, it grows
> to, belive it or not - 90 MB. That's 60 MB to show a menu !?
> I diffed the /proc/../maps, and this is what the extra 60 MB contain: 0.5 MB
> of newly allocated memory, plus a lot of mapped files; One interesting mapped
> file is the HUGE /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/icon-theme.cache, taking up 28 MB
> of mapped space!

I'll check some of the other suspects to see whats in their mappings.
Funny enough, gnome-system-monitor has a UI for /proc/../maps, which -
if I'm reading it correctly - shows that Evolution with a relatively
small VIRT of 500MB maps over 200MB of it as writable memory. Just as a
comparison, that 200MB is almost twice as the entire VIRT size of KMail.

--
Oded
::..