The problem is not to turn the screen blank but to get it
to go to standby (powersave).
I tried:
xset +dpms
xset dpms force off
xset dpms force standby
xset dpms force suspend

and they only blank the screen.
This is why i think acpi/apm are required to enable the lcd screen LG flatron
l1910s to enter powersaving mode instead of just making the screen black.

--
Regards,
        Tzahi.