On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 17:55 +0200, Peter wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Feb 2007, Alon Altman wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 5 Feb 2007, Oded Arbel wrote:
> >>
> >> It seems like they claim both deniability and and assurance (which is
> >> what you get from signing, except w/o the signing part) at the same
> >> time.
> >
> >  I think that the trick is to give the other party the signing key right
> > after you signed the message.
>
> The usual trick with just-on-time crypto like that is to use a
> public/private key system to generate and exchange a unique key to be
> used just for that session, and then destroy it.

Problem - it maintains authentication across sessions: when at first I
talk with someone, I get a crypto thumbprint that I need to verify
manually that it belongs to the person I'm supposed to be talking (for
example - by phone). After I do that once, whenever I talk with the same
person, I am assured that its the same person.

That doesn't work with simple session only encryption, and what I don't
understand is how they both offer assurance and deniability, if the next
time I'm talking with the same guy I can be assured of his identity but
he can later claim that it wasn't him.

--
Oded
::..