I ended up following Chaim advice and buying very cool "usb2usb
network connection cable", which if you continue reading will find out
that was ultimately unnecessary.

The story starts from the "windows" server side, which has the storage
space. The supplied driver and software with the "conceptronic" usb
data cable failed to work completely (not before blue screening the xp
box). I turned to find a livecd which could boot with the usbnet
kernel module, this turned out to be simplistic task every 2.4 has it.
Then comes that issue of ntfs write, I decided not to take any chances
and used the excellent gparted utility to resize my ntfs partition on
hdb, creating new ext3 partition on the XP machine. This alone
required booting into windows, doing a "chkdsk /f d:" and then
rebooting the xp os (twice!!, for the ntfs logs). After the resizing
is over comes the turn of the ftpd, I've searched the whole net for a
livecd with ftp server on it, which turned nothing useful. I ended up
using Ubuntu desktop 6.10 livecd mode, which allowed me do a .deb
install into ram. I've downloaded
http://il.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/v/vsftpd/vsftpd_2.0.4-0ubuntu5_i386.deb
and had it transferred to the livecd os over the already working usb0
network interface. vsftpd required some modifications in
/etc/vsftpd.conf to allow local user login and home path that would
map to the newly mounted hdb2 ext3 partition.

Progressing to the LG laptop side, I've loaded g4l 0.21. doing
ifconfig -a shows there's a new usb0 network device. so far so good,
time to load g4l. g4l found 0 network interfaces (?). OK, obviously a
bug (#1) in the g4l script. Switch to console (alt+f2, username "g4l",
password ""). vi /bin/g4l:149. Back to (alt+f1), full hda copy process
and- nothing happens. (alt+f2) vi /bin/g4l:706.

On 1/21/07, Tzafrir Cohen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 12:02:57AM +0200, Chaim Keren Tzion wrote:
> BTW, did you try Knoppix instead of g4l?

Also note that the partition-copying that g4l does is done by partimage.
partimage is included in several other live CDs.

Actually no, at least not with g4l-0.21. It uses the plain simple
"dd". The command from line 706 in g4l with a few minor modifications
is "dd bs=1M if=/dev/hda | jetcat-mod -p58605120 | bzip2 | ncftpput -m
-u <user> -p <pass> -c 192.168.168.1
/mnt/hdb2/g4l/t1_express_03022007.img.bz2" that's all.

Generally speaking: g4l is one buggy hairy bash script, Nothing more.
Turned out I could save myself a few good hours by using grml.org in
the first place, which has the full driver support for my laptop and
is true Debian.

Oh well, you win some you write some ;)

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | VIM is
[EMAIL PROTECTED] |                    |  best

Maxim.

--
Cheers,
Maxim Veksler