The problem with NFS Root is that i don't have a second machine :(.
Anycase, it took a while and i got a uml to work on a debootstrap ubuntu edgy
with network support and no super user for the helpers so i won't make a
mistake (took half a day just for that).
Got my hello world module though so that is something.
Though there is an irritating thing with ubuntu where the 6 virtual consoles
pop out to the desktop and cannot be closed. haven't figured out how to kill
them yet. and that the console is not popping up on the shell where the uml
loads. As for the performance, it loads pretty quick and i am not running
servers here so it is ok for learning purposes.

The only problem i understand there is with UML is that you cannot work with
real devices (since the kernel is talking to the host kernel. I imagine this
is the same with vmware/etc emulation.