On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 12:23 +0300, Maxim Veksler wrote:
> On 7/2/07, Baruch Even <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > * Maxim Veksler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [070702 03:32]:

> The most basic use case is for a sysadmin to configure rules and
> expect them to survive reboot. This is the behavior he is familiar
> with from nearly every enterprise FW device. Here, on Debian OTOH he's
> instructed to script in /etc/network/if-pre-up.d to have the system
> load iptables rule set on boot, reasonable except for the single issue
> of him required to also _remember_ to iptables-save those rules on
> each modification. I find this process error prone. The is not a
> single utility (AFAIK) in Debian repository to automate this process.

I'm running Fedora, which also no longer saves the rules when the
iptables SysV script is stopped, but it still automatically loads them
when the script is started. Assuming the Debian script is similar, which
I think it is, I can offer the following insights:

*) The SysV script offers the option of "save" to call iptables-store
for you. The standard sysadmin use case would be to setup the needed
rules, then run '/etc/init.d/iptables save' and then reboot the machine
and the rules will be loaded automatically.
*) The behavior for saving automatically on "stop" is configurable, but
defaults to off. If you want to go back to the old behavior, then you
only need to change the line in the SysV iptables script that says
IPTABLES_SAVE_ON_STOP="no"
to say "yes".

As for the reason - I really suggest that you pursue the changelog entry
for this upstream to make sure, but I for one change my iptables rules
from time to time to test things, and its very hard to make sure that
you revert exactly to the previous version (and remembering to run
iptables-restore after each iptables configuration session /is/ error
prone). You wouldn't want that ad-hoc rules setup for test will be saved
for posterity by mistake.

--

Oded