On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 01:28 +0300, sara fink wrote:
> mplayer also has build in.

Both mplayer and VLC use ffmpeg, and both can also use windows DLL. I
suggest you install both ffmpeg, mplayer and VLC and see which does a
better job of playing your video files, and only if all 3 fail (mplayer
uses the system's ffmpeg IIRC, while VLC has ffmpeg packaged) then you
can try the windows codecs package

> On 8/23/07, Ori Idan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have a debian machine with GNOME with w32codecs installed.
> > I am trying to view .WMV files and get errors that I don't have the right
> > codecs.
> > I tried also viewing several AVI files and got an error that DivX 5 is not
> > installed.
> >
> > What packages should I install?

Do note that w32codecs is a package compiled of binary files (windows
DLLs) that are made entirely of proprietary software. The distribution
of most DLLs that are in the w32codecs package is done without the
permission of the copyright holder, and in some cases is in direct
violation of the explicit license under which these DLLs are made
available to the public.

Side note: the w32codecs package contains DLLs from a variety of
software vendors, including Microsoft. Microsoft's DLL files can be used
legally on one computer, as long as you also have a valid license for a
recent version of MS-Windows (I'm not sure, but I think Windows 2000 or
later) for that computer, no matter where you get them from.

--
Oded