On Mon, 2007-10-15 at 10:52 +0000, Amos Shapira wrote:

> I tried a few of them (AdBlockPlus, AdBlock, and some FlashBlock or
> another) but it looks like somehow when I block flash the regular part
> of the site just doesn't come up.
> Maybe it's because of the long distance of my connection. I would even
> hazard a guess that maybe they made their site require the flash ads
> to make it viewable but my first commandment is "don't attribute to
> malice that which can be easily explained by incompetency", especially
> with a site with such a low regard to standards as Tapuz.

Tapuz actually uses a lot of flash for really absurd stuff like the
"enter forum" button (that item, which is the least of the problem, was
replaced with an image recently), the arrows on the sides of the
scrolling tickers and even the round corner images for their design(!!!)
It seems that some web designer there does not know any tool other then
Adobe Flash for drawing.
Blocking all Flash content on Tapuz can easily yield a broken site, and
not due to missing adverts.

>         Another approach I had great success with is using a local
>         Privoxy
>         installation to filter annoying stuff (and it works the same
>         with all
>         browsers).
>
> What if the ads are served from the same host as the main site and are
> only different by URL path?

Privoxy can be easily setup to handle that - it has a useful web
interface that allows you to setup custom rules. But it comes with
several site-agnostic rules that identify common advertisement urls that
work surprisingly well. I haven't used Privoxy in a while, but I would
expect it to provide good user experience for you out of the box.

--

Oded