On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 17:44 +1000, Amos Shapira wrote:
> I'm now downloading the alternate CD but was wondering whether someone
> can give me a quick answer before I finish the (slow) download and
> burn/reboot cycle - is it possible to install 7.10 into a new LV
> inside an existing VG?

Yes, using the alternate CD, but even then its not as easy as it can be.
Multiple LVM support in installers is a problem for most distros - for
example, the Fedora disk wizard is really bad in that it either puts
each drive in its own LVM or doesn't let you create more then one LVM
and you have no control over which is which except for the order that
you create partitions. OpenSuSE installer is a bit better but still very
confusing. I think that Mandriva's diskdrake is still the best
installer-bound disk partitioning and one of the best partitioning
software out there (gparted has slightly better interface) - which is
the reason why I always carry a Mandriva live CD with me even though its
no longer my recommended operating system.

The Ubuntu regular CD doesn't come with LVM support, mostly as it is
geared towards "normal desktop" users and LVM is considered an
"enterprise" feature by Canonical. Under the same vain, Ubuntu lacks
many other "enterprise" features which I need like LDAP authentication -
and that is currently the only reason I don't use it in my "enterprise".

--
Oded