On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 10:17 +1100, Amos Shapira wrote:
> On 13/12/2007, David Suna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have an Ubuntu 7.1 system running Gnome that my kids use.  They
> > managed to do something and now the Applications, Places and System
> > menus have disappeared.  I can add back individual sets of applications
>
> I think I heard that GNOME (on Ubuntu?) has some "Kiosk" mode which
> should allow you to lock-down the configuration. Maybe you should
> consider using that.

You can install sabayon (see http://www.gnome.org/~seth/blog/sabayon )
and use it to create a limited profile which cannot do stuff like remove
applets from the panel. Its really easy to do using the graphical
interface - Sabayon logs you into a temporary session where you set
things up and afterward you get a list of changes which you can then
force on the user you want to limit.

--

Oded