On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 00:53:21 +0000
"Amos Shapira" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 15/12/2007, Erez D <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > ok, it was a 64bit problem ...
> >
> > w64codecs are a joke, it doesnt include anything
> > w32codecs will not install on a 64bit machine (using apt-get)
> > i had to extract the w32codecs and install manually
> > it didn't work (of course) on a 64bit mplayer ...
> > so i had to install mplayer32
> > which had conflicts with other files on my system, and again i had to
> > install manually
>
> I'm not sure about Ubuntu but in current stable Debian the solution is
> to install a chroot of 32-bit environment. That's how I got Firefox
> with Flash, Skype and other proprietary stuff to play nice on my amd64
> Debian Etch. "schroot" makes this simpler to use.
>
> I think I heard that Debian Lenny has aligned with other distro's in
> this area and started providing i386 libraries in the amd64 version.

I'm running sid and the only problem I had is with skype, who's static version
still compiled against libsigc-2.0.so.0 dynamically but I solved that by
putting the 32 bit version in it's directory and putting a script
in /usr/local/bin containing

#!/bin/sh

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/skype /usr/local/skype/skype

Didn't try the said file but I don't have problems up to now with mplayer.
Didn't see a codecs package though, 32 or 64 bit.

Firefox works nicely with flash although I am running the flashblock addon that
disables all flash unless enabled explicitly