On Tue, 2007-12-25 at 09:34 +0200, Jonathan Ben Avraham wrote:
> I am considering setting up a heterogenous work environment with about
> 100 high-end Linux work stations, 40 MS Windows, and 10 Mac's. The
> underlying common authentication system will likely be LDAP. Would NIS or
> Active Directories be more appropriate for this type of environment?

I don't have any experience with NIS so I can't really compare, but I
would wonder why ActiveDirectory is the only other option ?

In my office we have a setup using OpenLDAP and Samba to support Linux
and MS-Windows Workstations and it works great. From my experience the
downside of using the MS ActiveDirectory solution is that its difficult
to get the Linux workstations authenticating directly to the LDAP both
because the default ActiveDirectory schema does not provide the required
properties to support UNIX style authentication and authorization and
that in the ActiveDirectory LDAP protocol implementation there are
several bug^H^H^H non-conforming implementation details that sometimes
cause the openldap client to fail.

I've tried several OpenLDAP directory server products, and the most
success I had was with SuSE Linux Enterprise Server which works great
out of the box and you don't need to deal with the LDAP directory stuff
at all - the YaST user management feature works directly with the
directory and you don't need to actually know how to set it up.

--

Oded