Hi List.

I'm writing a script to automate some system maintenance tasks, and I
want to connect over SSH to several remote computers and do stuff on
them. I'm using ssh -f to background ssh so I can run the same operation
on multiple machines in parallel, otherwise it will be too slow - the
maintenance job may take up to a few minutes to run and the script is
not supposed to be fully automatic: a human is to monitor the process.

But I don't want just to fire and forget the SSH processes - I want to
exit from the script only when all the SSH processes have completed. I
can do that by monitoring the process ids of the background SSH
processes, if I could know them - which I'm having a difficult time
detecting.

I'm writing in bash, and optimally it would be something like this:

for server in 1 2 ...; do
    ssh -f [EMAIL PROTECTED] 'run maintenance task'
    pids="$pids $(getSSHpid)"
done

while kill -0 $pids 2>/dev/null; do echo "Waiting.."; sleep 1; done

but I didn't manage to find a way to get the process id of the ssh
process after it goes to background, other the 'ps'ing for it.

How can I go about doing this?

--

Oded