On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 12:56 +0200, Ira Abramov wrote:
> Gmail is starting to annoy me and I'm contemplating folding back to rely
> on my own system only. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a better system
> than IMP4, maybe one that supports Hebrew better, and maybe has some of
> the cool AJAX gadgetry I'm used to from Gmail?

I don't like IMP4, though its definitely one of the best open source web
mail clients available. Currently I'm mostly using squirrel mail which
is old and nothing fancy but it works and what that it does - it does
well.

I've tested roundcube web mail a lot, which is a very cool AJAX mail
interface, but it does not look like the development is going anywhere
(its been at version 0.1-rc2 {yes, an RC for a 0. release} for like
forever), and while its is very nice it is a bitch getting it to work -
at least without a MySQL database - and sometimes it just locks up and
refuses to behave.

If you're willing to pay for commercial software, and I think the fee is
reasonable, you might want to try @mail (atmail) which is one of the
coolest web mail interfaces I've seen to date. They have online demos
you can play with at their site, including using them to access your own
email box.

--

Oded