On 12/03/2008, Boaz Rymland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I'm looking into buying an all-in-one printer.
>  I'll probably go for ink printer since I don't print too much and
>  printing color output would be useful. The required/preferred specs are:
>  - having good printer drivers under Linux.
>  - working scanner functionality under Linux is highly desirable.
>  - independent fax capability
>  - preferably a machine compact in size.
>  - shared printing: I need to be able to print to it from windows and
>  linux. I don't mind how this is achieved (setting linux as a printer
>  server, network presence of the printer, etc) as long as its easy
>  (enough) to install and maintain.
>  - under 1000nis (will this be a problem?... at least not much more than
>  this limit).
>
>  If you can share some of your experience that would be great!
>  Thanks,
>  Boaz.

Boaz, we have the HP OfficeJet 4255. It cost us 800 NIS at some online
auction site. It prints fine in Linux and even from my Windows VMWare
virtual machine. Setting up the drivers in Windows is a pain in the
tusik (needs disk), but in KDE it is a simple wizard. The scanner
works, it sends and receives faxes without the computer, and it has
two print cartridges: one for B/W which was easy to refill with an ink
kit, and one for colour. It is a compact unit, and we've had it for
over two years. Highly recommended.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il