On Thursday 08 May 2008, Moshe Gorohovsky wrote:
> Hi linux-il,
>
> Hag Sameah!
>
> I recently set up a linux PC with Intel Core2 Duo CPU.
>
> I had started the PC up from a knoppix v5.3.1 DVD.
> Linux kernel on this DVD uses graphical framebuffer console and
> shows two penguin images on start-up. My previous machine
> showed a single penguin image. It was AMD K7 CPU (single core).
>
> Why linux kernel shows two penguin images on boot?
> Does it count CPU cores?

In a way. The number of penguins is indicative of the number of processors the
machine has. I'm getting two processors on my relatively old P4-2.4GHz
machine which just has the so-called "Hyper-Threading" feature.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

Parody on "The Fountainhead" - http://xrl.us/bjria

The bad thing about hardware is that it sometimes work and sometimes doesn't.
The good thing about software is that it's consistent: it always does not
work, and it always does not work in exactly the same way.