2008/8/27 Nadav Har'El <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> I'm a bit curious - why do you consider changing from WMV to Flash important
> for Linux or Firefox users?

Because I personally have never been able to play embedded WMV in the
browser on Linux, yet I've never had a problem playing embedded Flash.
WMV as a standalone file plays fine in VLC and Mplayer, though.

Additionally, I understand that Windows Firefox users have a hard time
playing WMV content in Firefox, yet the Flash plugin must be easy to
install. This is more a victory for Firefox than for Linux, but
promoting Firefox at any website set precedent for other sites to be
Firefox-friendly, or in other words, not require IE. At least they are
admitting that not everyone can be forced to use IE.

> Last time I checked, most Linux distributions could play neither WMV nor
> Flash movies out of the box, but software to do both is available for free.
> Software to play WMV is even available as free software (e.g., mplayer)?
> Or am I missing something?

For playing standalone files, yes. Content embedded in the browser is
another matter.

> I think we have a much, much, bigger problem with sites (the most notorious
> are the banks) which instead of using ordinary links and (if they must)
> standard Javascript, use IE-specific tricks. You can't get around these
> problems by installing any additional software...

Correct 100%. Please let me know which banks those are and I will
write to them and call them. I encourage you to do the same.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il