On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 00:45, Oron Peled <o...@actcom.co.il> wrote:
> Regretfully, your noble suggestion does not give any significant
> protection, for various reason (IANAL):
>  * Patents: control *use* and not implementation. So if you write
>   "patent infringing" code, you have no problem as long as you
>   don't run it. However, your users are at a risk.
>   (as a demo, see how MS threaten OEM's for Android use and not Google)
>
>  * You may think about idemnifying your users (i.e: promise to financially
>   back their damages), but this isn't a reasonable option unless you
>   have spare cache in the 5-6 digits range (USA, in dollars).
>
>  * Copyrights: this is a lesser risk, since we know free software
>   developers do not copy/derive code from MS. However, even in
>   this case -- if you are sued for copyright infringment, there's
>   nothing that protect your users from being sued also (In the USA
>   the MPAA/RIAA reminds everybody of this fact -- they sue the
>   end users even if they downloaded infringing content from other
>   "infringing party", like youtube/pirate-bay/etc.)

Thank you for your insight. I had figured that it is the distribution
"making available" the code which could be construed as infringing.

>> That means that the code will be released under GLP but the copyright
>> remains with me, not you. But I think you guys know me, my intention
>> is only to protect the real author, not to profit from the code.
>
> Profit from free software is not a shame. On the contrary, the client
> gets the program he asked for and as a bonus it's free software --
> So the client gets better value for money.
>
> That's why I'm really sorry to hit your inovative bussiness model.
> I wish it would be feasible.

No business model, I had not intended on making any money. Quite the
opposite, I had intending on taking a risk with no financial
incentive.

>> ...The true author can remain anonymous if he wishes.
>
> Again, this isn't too practical these days (with BB anywhere).

BB?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il