On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 8:02 PM, Shachar Shemesh <shac...@shemesh.biz> wrote:
> On 06/25/2012 06:21 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Schachar, I before addressing the issue at hand, I would like to state
>> an observation. When I reply to your mail, all text is of the same
>> quote level. That is, there is a single &gt at the beginning of each
>> line, whether it is a line that you wrote or a line that I wrote.
> Until I debug this, I'm replying as plain text only.

Thanks.

>> Are you referring to the use of linefeeds to designate the end of an
>> embedded section?
> No. I'm referring to paragraph terminators.

Which ASCII code is that? Even googling for it I cannot find that
character, other than the newline. Is it the newline?

> Dotan, may I suggest you go read the standard before making claims on
> what it is saying?

I never quoted any standard nor made any claim as to what the standard
says. I only asked for clarification. In any case I tried to get past
the issue of what designates the end of a paragraph as quickly as
possible to return to the original issue: the fact that one need not
employ HTML to ensure RTL or even Bidi text.

> From the standard (section 3), the UBA[1] is applied by using the
> following four steps:
> - Separation into paragraphs
> - Initialization
> - Resolution of the embedding levels
> - Reordering
>
> Paragraphs are resolved in step 1 and 2. RLEs in 3. They are simply not
> the same thing. BD5 defines "paragraph direction".
>> So we have established that sections of text separated by newlines are
>> paragraphs. Let us return to the issue. In a plain text file, as
>> defined above, there does exist a method by which the author of the
>> file may specify that a paragraph is to be RTL.
> There exists many. Specifically, the standard, which I urge you to read,
> offers one, and then specifically says that others are also okay (i.e.-
> not in violation of the standard). These are mentioned in the text right
> after P3, and again at HL1.
>
> It seems to me you are trying to force your agenda.

What agenda is that? I didn't even notice that I had an agenda. I
would like to see the non-printing characters on the Hebrew layout but
I can live without it. I would like to see peace with our neighbours
but if it is a choice between security and peace then I choose
security. I would like to earn a comfortable living and have a healthy
family, but that is my own onus, not an issue for the list!

>>  Therefore there is no
>> need for HTML to send RTL emails, nor is there technical need for the
>> email client to guess.
> Except there so no standard, de-facto or otherwise (as far as I'm aware)
> on whether HL1 is being applied be email clients for plain text emails,
> and the HTML standard is that HL1 is being applied, and paragraph
> direction must be set.
>
>> Have I forgotten anything?
> Yes. To substantiate your claims.

Fair enough. This is a plain-text email.

This is an English sentence, should be displayed from left to right.

‫זאת שפה העברית, אמור להוליך מימין לשמאל. שים דגש על מיקום הנודה בסוף.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com