http://dotancohen.com/howto/rtl_right_to_left.html
The LRM and RLM characters do not have to be invisible. I agree that
when I'm editing markup I prefer to see all the control characters.

If your markup interpreter supports HTML entities, then LRM is ‎
and you can guess what the RLM is. Even more useful is the
Right-To-Left Embedding character which is HTML entity ‫

There is a table of useful RTL-related HTML entities at the bottom of this page:

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 11:49 AM, Nadav Har'El <n...@math.technion.ac.il> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 07, 2015, Tzafrir Cohen wrote about "Hebrew in markup":
>> But I could not figure a simple way with any of those to get decent
>> control of bidi. Or specifically:
>>
>> * Make the whole document RTL
>> * Make various paragraphs LTR
>>
>> I guess I need to override some styles. With asciidoc I could not find a
>> simple way to do that and ended up having to create my own separate
>> "bidi" style. I didn't yet check all the various reSt and markdown
>> implementations. Any better alternatives?
>
> I see the discussion in this thread focused on how to edit such a
> document, but I think there's a deeper issue here - not how to edit
> this document, but how the different "markdown" displayers and
> converters (the most popular is, of course, githaps) will *display*
> the resulting document.
>
> 15 years ago, I approached the same problem in pure-text documents
> (such as emails) by inventing my own conventions (embodied in the "bidiv"
> program) which automatically determines each paragraph's direction
> in a "natural" (I think) way: I decided on a convention that paragraphs
> are separated by a blank line, and a paragraph's direction is the direction
> of its first directioned character.
>
> It would be wonderful if popular markdown converters would be added
> a similar automatic direction convention, so Hebrew paragraphs would
> "just work" (and be right-aligned) without any concious changes to the
> text needed. Seems very easy to add this support to any particular
> markdown converter (I'd start with github's...).
>
> Alternatively, (or additionally,) special markdown conventions could be
> added to control directionality.
>
> Unicode also has the LRM, RLM characters, but I *don't* recommend
> those - I hate invisible characters in my documents.
>
> --
> Nadav Har'El                        |     Wednesday, Apr 1 2015, 12 Nisan 5775
> n...@math.technion.ac.il
> Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |Linux: Because rebooting is for adding
> http://nadav.harel.org.il           |new hardware.

Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com