I have an Ubuntu 15.10 system. When I installed it, it defaulted to a
regular ext(something) boot partition, and an lvm partition with everything
else on it.

There now is a bad spot in the lvm partition. fsck with a read check does
not find it. I have moved enough data off of it, so it wont show up in a
file copy.

I will have a new drive tomorrow, intended to replace the old one. The old
one is 300 gig, the new one is 1tb.

Normally, I would just partition it, make both file systems ext4, copy the
files and run grub.

The lvm volume is something I dont understand.

If there a diskcopy type utility that would do all the work for me?

Is there a howto?

Can I just make the root an ext4 partition on the new disk and skip the lvm?

What would I have to change? I assume grub.conf and /etc/fstab. Anything
else?

TIA

Geoff
--